I feel like the geohouse project is something unique that carries lots of risks. What I’m doing has been done, but not quite the way I’m doing it. What if my assumptions are wrong? What are the costs? This post hopes to answer those questions. First, what components will this geohouse have?
- Solar Power System – $2,000 (5 panels, 4 batteries, charger)
- Pump and tubing system – $140
- Greenhouse plastic – $170
- Wood – $250
- PVC pipes – $120
- LED grow lighting – $120
The worst case scenario is that I cannot keep plants alive during the coldest months (Nov – Feb). This system gives me at least 3 months extra growing and production in the absolute worst case. Best case is that I get 12 months of production. Here’s a short list of other things that can go wrong:
- Not enough sun to power solar array (North West sun hides for substantial parts of the year)
- Too much heat loss
- Not enough sun to add energy to system
- Not enough heat storage (geo-battieries)
- Components break (power supplies, pump, etc).